Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Interesting blogs

While I am writing my blog, I should share some other great blogs that I read or have looked at. My personal favorite is www.avc.com. If you are interesting in VC or startups, this is the place to be. It is written by Fred Wilson, co-founder of Union Square Ventures. I had the pleasure of having him visit one of my classes at bschool and he is a great speaker on tech,vc, and everything else. He really provides great insights.

Another article that is interesting is: http://www.businessinsider.com/will-an-mba-kill-your-chance-to-become-a-great-tech-entrepreneur-2010-7

That is specifically addresses why MBAs may not be the best for startups. I can't say that I fully disagree. The article makes some good points but I will address that later. It seems to dismiss the value of cases and make them sound like they are simply a history lesson. I agree that, for the most part, bschools rely heavily on cases and the case method but there is some value there regardless. It is difficult to really learn to start a business in a classroom setting, regardless of whether you do cases, case competitions, presentations or whatever. It is still in a safe setting.

A little bit of rambling and defending on my part but I think people are quick to dismiss the MBA value in startups, tech companies, and entrepreneurship.

No comments:

Post a Comment